We all have our good and our bad days. And when those bad days hit us, we tend to let the feeling of sadness overflow us. But truthfully, we can choose how we feel and how we see things with each new day. It takes practice and effort, but we can learn how to feel grateful for everything that’s happening to us. And, one of the best methods for practicing gratitude is writing a gratitude journal.
If you want to work on yourself and learn how to feel thankful for the little things in life, just keep reading. We’ve put together a list of the 24 best gratitude writing prompts. They’ll teach you how to express your thankfulness. You’ll know what to focus on to always lean towards happiness.
Let’s take a look at these great gratitude writing prompts.
- 24 gratitude prompts that you can use as a reference
- 1. Who’s your favorite person in the world?
- 2. What’s your favorite part of the day?
- 3. What is something you have today that you didn’t have a year ago?
- 4. What are the 3 best things that happened to you today?
- 5. What are you looking forward to?
- 6. What is a happy memory you like to think about?
- 7. What do you love about yourself?
- 8. What’s an accomplishment you’re proud of?
- 9. What are your goals?
- 10. Who is the one person that helped you a lot?
- 11. What is a hobby that you love?
- 12. How did you overcome fear?
- 13. Who is your favorite artist?
- 14. Who is a teacher or mentor you appreciate?
- 15. Do you have a pet that makes your days better?
- 16. What is a holiday you’re looking for?
- 17. What is a present you received that made you super-happy?
- 18. What did you do to make another person happy?
- 19. What are the 10 things you love about your community?
- 20. What is a mistake you’re now glad you did?
- 21. What are the family traditions you love?
- 22. Look around your house or apartment. What do you love about it?
- 23. What is a childhood lesson you still remember?
- 24. What is your favorite food?
- Final Thoughts
24 gratitude prompts that you can use as a reference
1. Who’s your favorite person in the world?
Start by thinking about the great people who surround you. Friends and family represent the biggest treasure we have, and we should be thankful for the fact that we have them in our life.
Start small, and think of the one person who makes your life so much better. Express your gratitude for having this person around. Also, describe how they make you happy.
2. What’s your favorite part of the day?
We all have those stressful days when our schedule is hectic, and we don’t know what to do. You can easily get lost in the feeling of tension and anxiety. But, there’s always something nice happening to you in your busy days, so try and address that.
Is it lunch with your best friend? Is it playing with your dog when you get home? Or is it doing your evening yoga?
Be grateful for that moment and remind yourself that something nice is going to happen to you every day.
3. What is something you have today that you didn’t have a year ago?
We should sometimes look back at the things that happened to us. And, when we do, we should learn from those things.
They can teach us to appreciate what we have today and see it as something worth being grateful for. Maybe you finally have a loving partner, or you restored your health.
Think about the things you didn’t have, and you can freely enjoy today.
4. What are the 3 best things that happened to you today?
Gratitude isn’t about waiting for the big, life-changing things to happen. It’s about learning to appreciate the little ones.
Describe the 3 best things that happened to you today. It could be as simple as:
- you ate some chocolate
- you listened to your favorite song
- you had a nice talk with your mom
Think about how these things feed your soul and make you smile.
5. What are you looking forward to?
The things we’re looking forward to are always a great reason to be grateful. If you’ve got some upcoming events that you’ll feel happy about, write about them as well.
Write about the positive emotions these upcoming events cause you to feel.
6. What is a happy memory you like to think about?
Memories can serve as another great way to cheer ourselves up. Thinking about a happy memory will help us relive it and feel happy or excited once again.
Memories are also a reason to be grateful. They show us that happy moments in life come when we least expect them.
7. What do you love about yourself?
Self-love is another thing we’re not born with. Instead, we learn it.
And, you should always try to express self-love and learn how to feel happy for who you’ve become. So, think about the things you love about yourself. It could include:
- your will power
- your creativity
- your courage to try new things
Pat yourself on the back and be grateful for who you are.
8. What’s an accomplishment you’re proud of?
We should always show support and love for what we do. And, we should feel grateful for our accomplishments, no matter how big or small.
So, write about something you did that you feel pleased with. Be grateful for that achievement and use it as inspiration for future ones.
9. What are your goals?
Goals help us find a purpose and meaning in our lives. They make us feel important and give us a reason to get up in the morning.
And that is something we have to be grateful for.
10. Who is the one person that helped you a lot?
If there’s a special someone who was there for you during hard times, make sure to show gratitude. It would be a great idea to write a thank-you note to this person.
Make sure to include:
- how you feel about them
- how they changed you for the better
- how you’ll be forever grateful
11. What is a hobby that you love?
Hobbies are extremely important for everyone.
They help us make the most of our free time and make us feel happy and satisfied. This is why you should describe your hobby and what good it does to you.
12. How did you overcome fear?
Fears are one of the main reasons why we fail to do something or feel bad. But, if you manage to overcome fear, you’ll feel relief.
So, be grateful for fear that no longer controls you. Write about how you feel today when you’ve finally overcome it.
13. Who is your favorite artist?
Art is beautiful. Music, books, movies, and theatre can make our lives so much better.
And, if you have a favorite artist, make sure to be grateful for their art. Write about their work and how it influences you positively.
14. Who is a teacher or mentor you appreciate?
There are those special people who share their knowledge and wisdom with us. They can be our teachers or our mentors.
If you have someone who’s been a great mentor to you, write how grateful you are about them. List the things they taught you and how they made your life better.
15. Do you have a pet that makes your days better?
Pets are giving us another reason to be happy and look forward to getting up in the morning. Whether you have a cat, dog, or hamster, write about them if they make you happy.
Be grateful for these little creatures who make you happy every day.
16. What is a holiday you’re looking for?
Holidays bring people together. They give us a chance to gather our family or friends and enjoy priceless moments with them.
If you have a favorite holiday coming up, write about your excitement and gratitude.
Write about what you love about this holiday and what are your plans for this year’s celebration.
17. What is a present you received that made you super-happy?
Our friends and family know us so well. And, they often think of the little things to give us to make us happy or cheer us up.
There are such unexpected presents that can make our entire week better.
If someone recently gave you a present, write how thankful you are for it.
18. What did you do to make another person happy?
If you’re spreading love and understanding, you’re giving your life another purpose. Taking care of the people you love is another thing to be grateful for.
Think about the nice things you did to help another person or make them feel better. Be grateful that you have the chance to be a part of their lives this way.
19. What are the 10 things you love about your community?
We need to find peace and happiness in all segments of our lives. And, our community is an important segment that we should be grateful for.
Write about the things you love in your community:
- your first neighbors
- the winter fair
- the volunteers
Think about the things you enjoy doing or seeing. Write them down to remind yourself just how lucky you are.
20. What is a mistake you’re now glad you did?
We all make mistakes. Nobody is perfect, and there’s not a single person who doesn’t regret doing something.
But, something that seems like a mistake initially can lead to a positive outcome. This is something you should be grateful for.
Mistakes help us learn, grow, and develop. You should think of those mistakes that helped you do exactly that.
21. What are the family traditions you love?
Each family has their little traditions. These traditions help us feel closer to each other. They also make us feel loved, and as we belong.
Describe the family traditions you share with your loved ones and say why you’re so grateful for them.
22. Look around your house or apartment. What do you love about it?
Most people don’t realize just how lucky they are to have a roof over their heads. And, you should remind yourself to be grateful for your home.
Look around. What do you love about it?
It can be its coziness, the bright light, the smell of fresh sheets…anything that makes you feel at home!
23. What is a childhood lesson you still remember?
Growing up, we learn so much. But, some lessons are just more important than others.
If there’s something you learned as a child that you still stick to, write it down. Be grateful for the role models you had. They made you who you are today.
24. What is your favorite food?
Someprs, we don’t have to dig deep to find the things we love. Simple things such as food can make us feel happy and lift our spirit.
So, think about your favorite food. Describe why you love it. If you have some memories tied to this food, make sure to write that down as well.
Gratitude is important for leading a happy and balanced life. If we don’t learn how to be grateful, we won’t be able to recognize the beautiful things around us.
Use the gratitude writing prompts shared above to find all the reasons you need to be thankful today. Write about the people, things, and events in your life, that you’re thankful for.
Nicole Garrison is a freelance writer and blogger with years of experience. She currently works as an editor at professional writing platform TopEssayWriting. She mainly focuses on topics such as personal growth and accomplishing goals. In her free time, Nicole is a passionate runner and a curious beekeeper.